Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thinking about a Relaunch (now with paragraph breaks)

I have been thinking about Casual Geekery for a while now. I miss it. I know that it had basically no readers, and I am sure that no one will read this post, but I enjoyed writing and ranting about techie stuff. Recently one of my favorite pod-casters Scott Johnson launched Frog Pants Studios. He has created new and adopted several existing podcasts to the Frog Pants family, and while he is the main host there are several others, and some podcasts he is not even part on. While thinking about Frog Pants and Casual Geekery I realized that the main problem that Casual Geekery faced was that Ryan and I were the only people writing anything. I know for myself that I really only wanted to write posts about things that I was either excited about or pissed about, and frankly it’s hard to get that riled up every day. We both also have jobs that pay us and therefore those take priority over a blog that is read but no one. The conclusion that I came up with is that Casual Geekery needs more contributors.

I think a total of around 5 people would be pretty ideal. This way when some of the contributors are busy with real life the blog will not be stagnant for a day or several days. I also like this idea because, well, having a variety of tones and subject matter is important to make the blog interesting to the 0 people that read it, but if content is king and the blog was to ever take off or gather readership I think it would be important to have different voices rather than just 1 or 2. To this point I think that having a couple girls as contributors would be great. Geekdom is a pretty much dominated by neck beards (who are male) and since the blog is mostly based on opinion having some female opinions to provide counterpoint to mine and Ryan’s as well as other male nerds out there would be excellent.

I am putting out feelers to see if I can rope some people in who want to write, and maybe if all goes well the blog will be relaunched. Also, to the 0 people that will read this, if you happen to know someone that would be willing to design us a logo that would be sweet.

And lastly for good measure let me just say “Fuck Facebook”

No comments:

Post a Comment