Friday, April 23, 2010

The New Who

I’ve finally got a chance to watch the first episode of the new season of Doctor Who. I was sad to see David Tennant go, like everyone, but there was one thing that I was happy to see gone. ALL HIS BAGGAGE. The very mechanism of the doctor rejuvenating into a new being is such a great way to run a show like this. Once things get too dark and heavy from all the epic things that have built up, just hit the refresh button and get a shiny new doctor who only kind of remembers all that. This show is supposed to be upbeat and full of whimsy, and eventually Tennant was getting too depressing. Not the actor of course, just the way they were writing him. How many seasons did he spend bent out of shape over Rose?

Matt Smith himself, is believable as an alien. When he said “I am not people”, you don’t find it that hard to believe him. His eyebrows vaguely remind me of Odo from Deep Space 9, who once joked how hard forming the human nose was. While the Time Lords do appear human, it is never really said if that is only the way they present themselves to humans. It is somewhat charming to think that this young doctor, in making his human form kind of goofed on the eyebrows, and made himself look a little alien. He still manages to be cute though!

Without giving away too much, there was one new element to the show that I found interesting. A moment of filmmaking to show that he had just finally pieced a problem together, it almost reminded me of those moments in House when he looks off in the distance during a conversation having finally figured the whole medical mystery out. The camera snaked around from point to point, and you felt like you were getting a look into the doctor’s manic thought process.

I approve of the new companion too. Generally as long as they aren’t too useless I am happy, since I am not really the sort of Fan Girl who hate the companions because they are not me. My favorite was Donna Noble, so seeing another red head is good. The preview of the season to come clips had me excited for this new season and for this new Doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment