Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Until it's time to not be nice...

patrick-swayze

Well, it took a few years but it seems cancer has claimed our friend Patrick Swayze. Swayze passed into The Great Beyond on Monday night and I mourned by watching Red Dawn, Road House and Point Break back to back over night and being extremely late for work on Tuesday.

Who could forget the Swayze of the 80’s and early 90’s – hot enough for your girlfriend to agree to see Point Break in theaters and cool enough to make boyfriends not hate Dirty Dancing.

patrick-swayze1

Let’s not forget the wisdom he imparted to us in his classic films: such gems as “I want you to be nice… until it’s time to not be nice.” Or how about “If you want the ultimate, you’ve got to be willing to pay the ultimate price.” Or even “We’re all going to die, die standing up!” and “Nobody puts Baby in a corner!”

Now, you may be wondering what a tribute to Swayze is doing on geek blog… let’s not forget he was in one of the greatest geek flicks of all time! What was the fantasy of every high school nerd in the 80’s? To band together with his friends and fight off the Russians using brutal guerrilla warfare!

red_dawn

As a side note, I’d never seen that poster before and now I desperately want one.

I guess I’ll leave you with this. After searching YouTube for the perfect Swayze clip to out on I considered many, the lift scene from Dirty Dancing, the “I want you to be nice” speech from Road House or even the original 1983 trailer to Red Dawn – instead I decided to go out with another great tribute to the man. And while it pokes slight fun at him, you have to realize they never would have written the song if they didn’t love the man deep down. I present “A Patrick Swayze Christmas” MST3K style!

No comments:

Post a Comment