Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's Me, The Stupidest Android App

I was browsing the Goondroid Wiki for various apps for my HTC Hero when I noticed GentleAlarm. It's pretty clever in that the free version doesn't work on Wednesdays, so you buy the paid one.

Let me take a second to tell you about my alarm setup. I have one set at 7AM, and one set at 7:30. One goes off, I judge how tired I'm feeling, I choose to go back to bed and wait for the second alarm. Given I've had sleep issues, the description of this app intrigued me, especially this "sleep cycle" function.


Hey there gentle dream traveler, let me waste your time. (image courtesy Androlib)


So you start the app and it throws a wall of text at you talking about sleep cycles. I say whatever and set an alarm for 7:30. It sets a pre-alarm for 7. Hang on a minute. Isn't that what I have been doing for the last month? Using the alarms that come with my phone? But I digress, maybe it's got a funny sound or makes beeps in the night to help me sleep or something.

7AM! Buzzing from flashy thing on top of large box. Ung look at flashy thing. Ung see lots of symbols and wall of text. Ung just touch flashy screen until sound go away.

It spouts a bunch of text at you when the pre-alarm goes off. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but when you immediately wake up from an alarm, is the first thing you do read a bunch of words, let alone words telling you what a pre-alarm is? It was like I was holding a lost piece of alien technology. I snoozed the alarm, woke up half an hour later, and uninstalled it.

I really don't think there's a substitute for what I have as my current alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment