Monday, September 28, 2009

More MMS Fun, this time with law suits

I have a couple of close friends that have the iPhone on AT&T and when I heard the update to allow them access to MMS was available, I pressured them to connect to iTunes and download the update. After each of them had preformed the update, I tried to send them a picture via picture messaging on my non-smart phone. I have seen the screen shots of what the MMS is supposed to look like on the iPhone text messaging layout, and I expected to see the picture of the creepy doll

in between the messages I had already sent. Neither of them got it! I sent it! According to my phone it went out. I waited untill the next day and still it had not shown up. On top of that they didn’t even get the dumb link iPhone users used to get when they received a picture. It just never showed up on the phones. Maybe this is an example of the craptastic service that AT&T is notorious for providing. I knew that the MMS would cause some network issues, but never actually delivering the picture is crazy. On top of that AT&T is actually supposed to be the best provider in Boston (where I live).

Even crazier than the picture not showing up is this article. I guess people are always looking for a quick buck, and suing is a really easy way to do that. But give me a break. Suing AT&T because they rolled out MMS at the end of September rather then the “end of the summer” which depending on who you ask could be several different dates.

I have always held that that the Solstice and the Equinox mark the ends or beginning of new seasons, and according to Wikipedia the equinox for the fall occurred on September 22, which is the Tuesday before the actual release of MMS. For me, Friday is a more dramatic day of the week than Tuesday, so if I was going to release something around September 22nd and I wanted the release to be dramatic I would wait until Friday too, I mean what’s three more days, really when people have been waiting years.

Now a case could be made that the end of summer and the beginning of fall is Labor Day, which this year was on September 7th. September 7th to September 25th is a pretty decent time difference, most of the month, and if you are using Labor Day as the day where summer ends and fall begins then yeah MMS was kinda late. Labor day is the first Monday in September so it does not even fall on a particular date, and as far I care it’s pretty arbitrary to be used as a deadline for anything since it’s something that is set by people. Someone picked it to be the first Monday in September - there is no science or anything like that for why it is that day.

Again, for my money I am going to pick the date that has science behind it, which is the equinox (you can read more about it the link above). The equinox affects everyone on Earth where as Labor Day is a US.. holiday. AT&T is worldwide so why should they be constrained by something that is so regional? If the they are using the equinox as their measure of the “end of summer” than they are on the money and not really late at all. In that case this kid is a jerk, and I hope the judge throws the case out, actually I hope the judge throws the case out either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment