Friday, September 25, 2009

I burn, I pine, I perish...

While I love my new Dell Studio XPS 16, there are some outrageously excessive laptops stuffed with awesomeness. Now, much like Alienware's products which start at $1,500, they seem awesome but are expensive and unlike Alienware, not as customizable. The first drool educing laptop is the GScreen Spacebook from a company called (believe it or not) GSCREEN. Now the base model is a 15.4 inch "Spacebook"(named so because it was recovered from the Roswell crash or something), it weighs in at a slightly chubby 8.7 pounds, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8700 2.53 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB, DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM with expansion up to 4 GB, 250 GB SATA hard drive, 3 USB 2.0 ports, CD/DVD burner and 6-in-1 media card reader and there's something else....


Oh that's right, IT'S GOT TWO SLIDING SCREENS!!! I don't have any children yet but I would be willing to issue an IOU for the first born if GScreen is willing to send Casual Geekery one for free for us to test drive. I promise we have a lot more followers than that one listed. We've... been having problems... with the tubes.

Why is this awesome: It has two 15-inch screens. It's perfect for photographers, graphic artists, video editors, really anyone that wants to multitask. Or just people who want have Hulu open to while they also play Halo. OK, so I can't explain why it's so awesome, it just is. Well the $3,000 price tag is not so awesome but that may be lower when it ships.

Next up, Intel's concept notebook that really tries to one up the GScreen by having not one, not two, not three but four screens!


And three of them are touchscreens! Suck on that GScreen! I kid, I'd actually rather have the GScreen but I can see why these are both awesome. Check out CNET's videos about it.

Why this is awesome: The three screens would be ideal for multitasking you don't need a full screen for like swishing through your iTunes albums to change songs without dropping your main screen, arranging your favorite widgets or apps to make them readily available, or apparently you can also use them for multi-touch capabilities.

I imagine this is what we'll start to see more and more of in the future. Multiple screens will become common place much the same way built-in web cams have become in the last couple years. Or maybe they'll stay regulated to the odd ball offerings like the fingerprint scanners have kinda been.

Last on the list is Lenovo's ThinkPad W700ds with it's flip out 10-inch screen. Not bad at all for a $1,149 base price.


This would be more my speed if I was going to purchase a multi-screen laptop. Or I could spend $149 at ThinkGeek.com and get essentially the same thing.


Which I think I'll do the next time I have some cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment